1. Summary of Role
Talbot is a South African water solutions advisor and turnkey project implementation company with an international client base servicing the African market and beyond.
We are looking for a Senior Laboratory Technician (Microbiology) to join our Laboratory team to support our ambition to become one of Africa’s leading water solutions companies. The successful incumbent will be accountable for microbiological analysis of water and wastewater samples.
2.How you will contribute
- Ensure validity of testing results through applying established procedures
- Streamline processes when improvements are identified
- Address non-conformances timeously
- Ensure quality control protocols are upheld in the microbiology section
- Support the team leader/microbiology manager as directed
- Coordination of all activities within the microbiology section to ensure all operational requirements are met.
- Sample preparation and routine microbiological analyses of water and wastewater. (Including proficiency testing samples)
- To complete reports on proficiency testing participation.
- Planning of tests in an orderly and systematic manner.
- Calculation and evaluation of results.
- Capture of sample results into LIMS on or before agreed turnaround time.
- Capture QC results on control charts and monitor the charts for trending.
- Apply Quality Control routinely as per the Quality Policy & Procedures Manual.
- Consumables stock control per microbiological tests.
- Non-Conformance, Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action.
- Preservation of microbiological samples.
- Conduct Method Validation as directed by the Microbiology Manager.
- To train as an internal auditor
- To assist with training as directed by the Microbiology Manager.
- To work towards becoming an ISO 17025 Technical Signatory.
- General housekeeping.
- Adhere to the laboratory Health & Safety requirements.
- Always wear the appropriate PPE whilst in the laboratory.
- Assist with non-routine tasks as required.
4.Your technical Skills
- Bachelor or Science Degree or higher and a minimum of 3 years laboratory experience
- Previous experience in an accredited laboratory would be advantageous.
- Proficient in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Good knowledge of general concepts of Microbiology.
- The ability to apply the correct quality procedures, good laboratory practice and health & safety controls.
- The ability to process and interpret microbiology data.
5.Your personal Attributes
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workload
- Teamwork, therefore, a proactive, helpful nature and the flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment is essential
- Innovative, creative thinking and ability to problem solve
- Self-motivated, driven and confident
- Organized, efficient and effective
- Ability to work independently.
6.What drives Talbot
Talbot is an innovative and entrepreneurial business which aims to become a key player in the African water market. We are a well-aligned, enthusiastic and driven team and are able to respond rapidly to market opportunities which creates a diverse and rapidly changing work environment.