1.Summary of Role
Talbot our Operations team provides Total Water Management solutions which encompasses the management of water and wastewater treatment plants. We provide a range of support to clients for the operation and maintenance of water, wastewater treatment and associated utilities including, where required, equipment, spares and chemical supply.
Your Role will be key in support of the operations team and our ambition to become one of Africa’s leading water solutions companies. In this role the successful candidate would be involved in the management of the onsite Water and Wastewater treatment plants which includes supporting the technical, process and resource requirements onsite. The position requires travel locally in Southern Africa and potentially to Africa as we expand our footprint.
2.How you will contribute
- Your will be responsible to delivery for the projects assigned to you.
- Manage the relationship between the client and the business, ensure that the business delivers to the client’s expectations and ensure that the client’s expectations are realistic and can be met by the business where possible.
- Upskilling and developing the onsite team
- Keeping the onsite quality systems update and ensuring that this meets the clients requirements
- Ensure operation of the plant to meet final compliance
- Engagement with client on site – factory/ site engagement on good practice; maintaining client relationship through daily/ weekly meetings.
- Plant troubleshooting
- Refresher training for onsite team
- Management of onsite team (IR/ HR, work plans, shift rosters)
- Daily assessment of state of the ETP/ WTP
- Daily feedback to factory/ client and process hub on plant performance (incl incident reporting)
- Data management
- Assist with any onsite trials outside of operations
- 24/7 telephonic support when required to onsite team
- Management of onsite laboratory: lab testing; calibration of equipment and quality assurance
- Management of onsite stock levels & placing orders through admin
- Site H&S requirements onsite – H&S file and site-specific compliance. Designated as per OHS Act.
- Formal weekly reporting to Operations Manager level on site activities, incidents and outcomes
- Communication of any H&S/ HR matters to Operations Manager level
- Communication/ escalation of any technical issues to Technical team
Technical and Process:
- Drive process optimisation protocols to ensure operation of the plant to meet final effluent compliance
- Developing monthly reports for internal review
- Weekly/ monthly reporting to client (technical report)
- Assistance to onsite team with troubleshooting incidents
- Ad hoc research on operational issues, to provide input into design and process changes
- Site audits when required/ during site visits (process, H&S file, training, lab)
- Develop an onsite and offsite lab and plant testing programme
- Input into the development of technical issues such as:
- Development of the site SLA with the client
- Scada controls
- Site audits and development of procedures and checklists
- Feedback to client:
- Monthly meeting and/or report
- Quarterly meeting
- When necessary to intervene – requested by Supervisor or site situation requires such in terms of technical input
- Ad hoc – established client relationship.
- Communication of site matters to the Operations Manager/PM (Daily, ad hoc incidents where required)
- Cover shifts on site when required.
- Training Supervisor and Process Controller onsite
- Input into client awareness training: Developing training material and undertaking such training.
- Developing technical and financial proposals outside of routine operations (tenders & RFQs)
- Contract renewal tracking
- Ensure quality and output targets for all projects are met
- Ensure project profitability and sustainability (sign off on orders)
- Ensure compliance with all H&S aspects within assigned base
- Input into Oversee and manage stock, chemical & consumable levels
- Input into Development of systems to improve productivity and efficiencies
- Ensure quality management system protocols are implemented across the region
- Client relationship communication – ad hoc, biannual site visit
- Management/ communication of escalation of site issues with client
- Weekly operational meeting/ feedback with Project Manager Leader.
- Assisting with training plans for all operators with support from the Project Manager Leader
- Checking and submitting monthly timesheets on the 10th of the month
- Stock Control and submission of the stock sheets by the last day of every month.
- Input into Business Unit strategy
Safety and Housekeeping:
- Ensure the correct PPE is worn at all times.
- Report all incidents, accidents and near misses to you line manger within immediately or within 24 hours.
- Report any defective Electrical or Mechanical plant or equipment to the Senior Process Controller.
- Uphold 5S standards: Maintain the areas in a clean state and perform other housekeeping tasks that may be necessary.
- Maintain solid relationships with your colleagues and client.
- Submission of timesheets and leave forms diligently and timeously.
- In addition to the above, any reasonable task assigned by the Line manager
5.Your technical Skills
- BSc Degree chemical engineering or equivalent (Chemistry/ Biochemistry)
- Drivers licence
- 1-3 years’ relevant experience
- Computer Skills
The following would be advantageous
- Experience in the Operations of water and wastewater treatment plants
- Ability to engage as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill and ability to present to a diverse audience
6.Your personal Attributes
- Self-motivated, driven and confident
- Innovative, creative thinking and ability to problem solve.
- Enjoy diverse and challenging work environment
- Organized and efficient.
- Ability to manage staff (good interpersonal skills)
- Ability to work independently.
- A team player
7.What drives Talbot
Talbot is an innovative and entrepreneurial business which aims to become a key player in the African water market. We are a well-aligned, enthusiastic and driven team and are able to respond rapidly to market opportunities which creates a diverse and rapidly changing work environment.