1 Summary of Role
At Talbot our Operations team provides Total Water Management solutions which encompasses the management of water and wastewater treatment plants. We provide a range of support to clients for the operation and maintenance of water, wastewater treatment and associated utilities including, where required, equipment, spares and chemical supply. Your Role will be key in contributing to the operating the pilot WTP Plant in the Bluff (Durban) area.
2 How you will contribute
- Day to day Operations of the WTP
- Work closely with the Project Supervisor to ensure the plant produces complaint drinking water
3 Travel Requirements
4 Primary Responsibilities
- Record all critical parameters on log sheets such as rates of flow, temperature and pH for monitoring performance.
- Perform daily laboratory tests to determine activity and wastewater treatment performance within the plant
- Open and close valves start motors and pumps as per established operating procedures.
- Complete checklists for all equipment, tanks and piping for visual and audible problems daily.
- Top up chemical dosing tanks as and when required.
- Submit key data to Head Office Technical Support daily.
- Prepare incident reports such as 5Y, populating the Maintenance Gap List on an ad hoc basis.
- Update trend charts daily.
- Report out of specification results or anomalies on the plant to the Process Specialist and Area Manager
- Conduct a daily plant check
- Collection of samples throughout the treatment process
Safety and Housekeeping:
- Ensure the correct PPE is worn at all times.
- Report all incidents, accidents and near misses to you line manger within immediately or within 24 hours.
- Report any defective Electrical or Mechanical plant or equipment to the Senior Process Controller.
- Uphold 5S standards: Maintain the areas in a clean state and perform other housekeeping tasks that may be necessary.
- Maintain solid relationships with your colleagues and client.
- Submission of timesheets and leave forms diligently and timeously.
- In addition to the above, any reasonable task assigned by the Area Manager.
5 Your technical Skills
- Grade 12: Mathematics & Science
- At least one-year relevant experience in water/ wastewater treatment
- Minimum Requirements
- Grade 12: Mathematics & Science
- Valid Driver’s License for a minimum of 3 years
- Basic understanding of SCADA controlled systems
- Basic understanding of chemistry & exposure to laboratory work
- The ability to work independently and present reports
- Computer literate
- The following would be advantageous
- Certification as a laboratory analyst
- N2/ N3 Water and Wastewater
- 3 years’ experience in wastewater treatment involving aerobic processes
6 Your personal Attributes
- Passion for, and commitment to, improving plant performance.
- Innovative, creative thinking and ability to problem solve with the support from you line Manager.
- Enjoy diverse and challenging work environment
- Organized and efficient.
- Ability to work independently.
- A team player
7 What drives Talbot
Talbot is an innovative and entrepreneurial business which aims to become a key player in the African water market. We are a well-aligned, enthusiastic and driven team and are able to respond rapidly to market opportunities which creates a diverse and rapidly changing work environment.