1 Summary of Role
Talbot’s Operations Business Unit involved in the Operation and Maintenance of Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants has a vacancy for a Maintenance fitter. The successful candidate would be involved in the day to day maintenance matters in collaboration with on-site teams as well as the support on Adhoc maintenance projects. The position requires travel locally in Southern Africa and potentially to Africa as we expand our footprint.
2 How you will contribute
- Onsite and Adhoc Mechanical Maintenance
3 Travel Requirements
- Site Based (Gauteng/Pretoria)
4 Primary Responsibilities
Maintenance (Technical and Process) Ongoing Projects:
- Ensure adherence to health and safety, environment, quality and housekeeping
- Establish operations and maintenance routines/ schedules (preventive, general and emergency) to service all equipment
- Maintain accurate and current equipment documentation, schematics, and preventive maintenance procedures
- Recommend equipment acquisitions and participate in negotiation of equipment purchases and service contracts.
- Undertake the installation and maintenance of all equipment.
- Maintain quality and integrity of all operational equipment.
- Apply fault-finding techniques, conduct root cause failure analysis and regular plant inspections.
- Clean, maintain and repair mechanical parts, components and equipment as directed by the Supervisor.
- Complete breakdown and preventive maintenance work orders, create subsequent notifications, and provide feedback on work performed.
- Maintenance Input into the reports for internal review
- Maintenance site audits when required/ during site visits
- Support the Project Managers on Adhoc site visits.
- Maintenance input into for proposals outside of routine operations (tenders & RFQs)
Adhoc Maintenance Projects:
- Support on the costing for the Projects
- Input into the development of Project Plan
- Placing of orders for all material required
- Ensure all H&S requirements and documentation are in place
- Undertaking of the maintenance as per project plan under the supervision of the Project Manager.
- Ensure operation of the plant to meet final effluent compliance
- Plant troubleshooting
- Routine assessment of state of the WTP
- Regular feedback to the client and head office on plant performance (incl incident reporting)
- 24/7 telephonic support when required to onsite team
- Management of onsite laboratory: lab testing; calibration of equipment and quality assurance
- Management of onsite stock levels & placing orders through admin
- Site H&S requirements onsite – H&S file and site-specific compliance. Designated as per OHS Act.
- Formal weekly reporting to your line Manager level on site activities, incidents and outcomes
- Communication of any H&S/ HR matters to Operations Manager level
- Communication/ escalation of any technical issues to Technical Specialist (cc Operations Manager)
- Ensure quality and output targets for all projects are met
- Ensure compliance with all H&S aspects within assigned base
- Input into Development of systems to improve productivity and efficiencies
- Weekly operational meeting/ feedback
- Support on maintenance related costings
5 Your technical Skills
- Qualified Fitter and Turner
- Valid trade test applicable
- 3 to 5 years working as a fitter
- Drivers Licence (for more than 5 years)
- The following would be advantageous
- 1 to 2 years’ experience in maintenance for water and wastewater
6 Your personal Attributes
- Self-motivated, energetic, driven and confident
- Innovative, creative thinking and ability to problem solve.
- Enjoy diverse and challenging work environment
- Organized and efficient.
- Ability to work independently.
- A team player
7 What drives Talbot
Talbot is an innovative and entrepreneurial business which aims to become a key player in the African water market. We are a well-aligned, enthusiastic, and driven team and are able to respond rapidly to market opportunities which creates a diverse and rapidly changing work environment.