Summary of Role
Talbot is a South African water solutions advisor and turnkey project implementation company with an international client base servicing the African market and beyond.
We are looking for a Junior Microbiology Technician to join our Laboratory team to support our ambition to become one of Africa’s leading water solutions companies. The successful incumbent will assist with analysing samples and result capture into LIMS in the Microbiology Section under the supervision of a Team Leader to meet the laboratories turnaround time. Assist in maintaining equipment & stock levels and prioritizing sample analysis. Adhere to the Quality Management System, SHE and GLP standards.
- Port Elizabeth Laboratory if required
- Carrying out of routine microbiological analytical analyses of water and wastewater samples as directed by your Team Leader.
- Sample preparation as required per test under the direction of your Team Leader.
- Capture of sample results into LIMS on or before agreed turnaround time.
- Apply Quality Control as per the Quality Policy & Procedures Manual and ensure the Precision spreadsheet is updated daily. Notify the Team Leader immediately of outliers.
- Ensure that microbiology always has adequate stocks of reagents and consumables available.
- Analysis of PT samples as directed and in order to maintain test competency.
- Participate in Non-Conformance Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action under the supervision of your Team Leader.
- Ensure that you wear the correct PPE and comply with the Health & Safety code of practice in the laboratory.
- Ensure your workspace and the laboratory is always kept neat, clean and tidy.
- Assist other analysts.
Your Technical Skills
- BSc degree or National Diploma in Biotechnology
- Accredited water testing laboratory experience and familiarity with a LIMS system would be advantageous
- Basic computer skills (MS-Office including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
Your personal Attributes
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workload
- Understand the needs of all stakeholders
- Goal orientated, achieve targets set
- Strong communication skills
- Teamwork, therefore, a proactive, helpful nature and the flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment is essential
- Self-motivated, driven and confident
- Organized, efficient and effective
- Ability to work independently.
What drives Talbot
Talbot is an innovative and entrepreneurial business which aims to become a key player in the African water market. We are a well-aligned, enthusiastic and driven team and are able to respond rapidly to market opportunities which creates a diverse and rapidly changing work environment.